Harm.us - Death, Black, Doom and Gothic Metal WebZine
Main Bandlist Writings Forum Services About us
Death, Black, Doom and Gothic Metal band infoA - Z
Cuchulainn
July 13, 2005 at 21:04:39
Dan - I never said there weren't "Hockey moms", hell my cousins play hockey, I know that there are, but I think you are missing the point... It doesn't bother me getting scorned, because the truth of the matter is that extreme metal will never be mainstream... Nor would I want it to be to be honest... The whole different generation thing is complete bullshit, due to the fact that most of the soccer moms and their late 70's disco phase or 80's pop phase listen to the modern MTV poppy bullshit as well as their oldies... Kids don't sell out Britney Spears concerts, soccer moms around the nation do... Even "metalheads of yesteryear" seem to have a problem with the direction of metal these days and I think thats complete shit... Their parents used to tell them that Black Sabbath was horrible and they rejected their parents... Now they get pissed off because 30 years later, the shoe's on the other foot... Completely hypocritical in my opinion... Note: Soccer mom was a label not specific, therefore hockey moms are a mute point...
Dan
July 13, 2005 at 20:42:57
first off you bomb was a dud ex, but Cuchulainn, I live in the midwest , and I don't know if you have been to the suburbs of Chicago at all, but A LOT of kids, and adults are listening to BM these days. I met a group of guys (assuming 20-25 years old) that were listening to older Immortal, Dark Tranquillity, Dismember, and mentioned a crap load of other bands. I know damn well suburbia of Chicago, where all the soccer moms are, is not a very accepting place. And your right in the fact when you said those "soccer moms" scorn you. Of course they are, they lived in a different generation, what parent these days don't scorn there kid for something such as listening to BM? All I know is that the BM scene in the midwest is getting huge. Oh and by the way I played hockey and there are such a thing as hockey moms.
Horfixion
July 13, 2005 at 16:11:36
Cuchulain - I'll bump it up to 95% of America will never accept Death or Black Metal...Finally something we can agree on! As for the rest of your post...PLEASE call your mom and tell her you love her! Excelver - no contradictions in my posts whatsoever but if you haven't anything to say or argue you can simply go away or self-destruct...whatever? Potrokh - Got any news for us on MTV yet? Still waiting on a reply from that one...
Cuchulainn
July 13, 2005 at 14:16:18
All hail the elitists in the metal genre??? Horifixion, you are fucking killing me... "Hockey moms"??? OK, whatever... My point being that normal (apparently only midwestern) America will never accept extreme metal, period, end of story... Maybe in major cities they are more accepting, couldn't tell ya... But I'll be willing to bet that 90% of America will never ever in our wildest dreams accept our music... They are hypocritical, elitist, and holier than thou in everything else anyway, why not music??? I'm scorned, I'll bet more than not, fans of extreme metal are... Apparently Horixion lives in the most fucking accepting place in America...
Excelver
July 13, 2005 at 13:55:45
Please follow through on that being the last comment of yours. Most of your argument has dwindled down to self-contradiction anyway... no need for rebuttal from this side!

(This thread will self-destruct in ten seconds 10...9...8..7...6...6...6...5...4...further posting is futile)

Horfixion
July 13, 2005 at 11:10:06
I just want to make one final comment here that I’m with Dan here, he hit the nail on the head with his very first post. Just because Azentrius was (or is) insulted by the rise of Black Metal, it’s something that he should embrace in my opinion, not turn his back on it. We’re not living in the 90's anymore when getting a copy of an underground extreme metal album was a most taxing chore. The internet has clearly changed all of that...so sorry to all hardcore BM fans that feel insulted in some way by the rise in popularity of the music they so cherish. I can’t believe how you’re all so parochial about it...In order to deal with this most unpleasant emotionally difficult situation, you all need to recognize that the internet ain’t gonna go away just because you want your BM to stay deep-deep-deep underground! Accept those things you cannot change and if you can't remain calm and in control of yourself in spite of it all, do what most people do when they are depressed...
Horfixion
July 13, 2005 at 08:22:49
"I don't usually have that problem cuz no one knows what my band shirts mean. They might as well be written in syrilic..." Good point Excelver! I was at a recent high school music variety show where I was amazed at all the Death and Black Metal band t-shirts and paraphernalia on hand. I swear if some of you would go visit a highschool now you'd think it was "halloween" everyday of the year. Anyway, half of the show was nothing but "extreme metal" and NO, I'm not talking about Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden and Dream Theater. Of course all of these bands were well represented, but there was some Children of Bodom and some other original material that sounded more like Grindcore. Shocked the hell out of mainstream folk...lol! And yes, the mainstream folk sat through it all, and dealt with it...Why is it so hard to believe that Black Metal is attracting the attention of some mainstream people? Isn't Black Metal a more "emotive" genre than Death? You don't think "maistream/normal folk" can be nihilistic or anti-social? You don't think that anybody outside your "stereotypical" Black Metal fan is capable of enjoying such music? What world are you guys from cause you're obviously not "in touch" with the reality of it all...Remember, I'm NOT saying Black Metal is mainstream music, it never will be as far as I'm concerned, but it is out there in many "mainstream" homes...DEAL WITH IT guys!
Horfixion
July 13, 2005 at 05:49:39
I guess LA kids are still listening to In Flames, Children of Bodom and Soilwork eh? Don’t worry, some of them will graduate soon enough...I was talking about Dark Tranquillity, Ensiferum, Kalmah, Kataklysm, Behemoth, Benighted, Borknagar, and Suffocation? Are they all on MTV now? You see, I wouldn’t know cause I don’t watch MTV, but maybe you can enlighten us Potrokh...
Excelver
July 13, 2005 at 01:38:24
Kosher, good word choice. Eh, like I said, fuck 'em. Let them keep their scorn like it makes them special. I don't usually have that problem cuz no one knows what my band shirts mean. They might as well be written in syrilic : )
Potrokh
July 12, 2005 at 22:56:25
I'm gonna have to disagree with you here, Horifixion - being in LA, I hear "normal" people listen to "extreme" music all the time and for some reason that particular type of "extreme" music makes me want to vomit. Almost wish they fucking resorted to MTV... oh wait, that shit IS on MTV.
Next 10 »
Main | Bandlist | Reviews | Interviews | Articles | Forum | Samples | About