Harm.us - Death, Black, Doom and Gothic Metal WebZine
Main Bandlist Writings Forum Services About us
Death, Black, Doom and Gothic Metal band infoA - Z
Potrokh
July 15, 2005 at 23:08:04
I clearly stated what this thread was about, therefore:

1) the previous thread is not going to be carried over to this one.

2) there will not be troll activity here.

3) yes, I know, I suck, but better me than people who pour their heart and soul into this site.
Horfixion
July 15, 2005 at 22:13:02
To begin with, musical tastes and preferences is a very subjective and a highly personal matter, wouldn't you agree Curumbor Elendil? Whatever turns you on, avant-garde/experimental/progressive, itÂ’s still all boils down to personal taste in music. Although I'm not very familiar with "experimental metal", I'm sure that I would enjoy some of it. In any event, here are some bands that in my opinion have produced some excellent "metal" recordings in the past 4 years, and created some very exciting music in a variety of genres (or sub-genres): Orphaned Land, Opeth, Symphony X, Ensiferum, Shadow Gallery, Kamelot, Ayreon, Therion, Adagio, Deadsoul Tribe, Into Eternity, Unearth, Deeds of Flesh, Wormed, Nile, Nightrage, Nevermore, Living Sacrifice and the list could go on and on and on...
Curumbor Elendil
July 15, 2005 at 16:40:10
Horfixion - I may agree with you in part, but we might have to talk about specifics to get on the same page. There has been an outpouring of truly experimental and avant-garde metal in the last five years, as a kind of revolt against the mediocrity that is coming to dominate. If you're referring to bands like Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, maudlin of the Well, Frantic Bleep, Silent Stream of Godless Elegy, and the like, then yes, there is more experimental "metal" now than ever before. However, much of it sounds strained and loopy-and-unpredictable-to-no-purpose. I prefer avant-garde stuff that still has a core structure and theme. With the Internet, bands that would have had zero following before can now at least garner a small fanbase.

However, the explosion in metalcore and brutal death/black has IMO meant that more bands are stripping away all the interesting parts of music and leaving nothing but noise and anger, which gets a little monotonous after a while.

Clay
July 15, 2005 at 13:20:12
Potrokh - Honestly man, I'm going to have to disagree with you. Being that I'm a sucker for something catchy, yet occasionally brutal... I'm all about the music of our time. I realize that things like metalcore and melodeath have become common, with so many bands copying the style without adding anything fresh... I'm not going to argue with it though. I'd rather have a hundred good sounding melodeath and metalcore bands than just one really oustanding original band to listen to. I think it's great that so many bands are playing my favorite style of music, it gives me a hell of a lot more to listen to. I've got bands like As I Lay Dying, Darkest Hour, Bleeding Through, etc... We didn't have these years ago, and american metal was nothing but garbage for the most part. I'm glad that metalcore is exploding, as well as melodeath... I can see where you're coming from... I've just never felt the way you have about music.
Horfixion
July 15, 2005 at 10:55:40
Excelver - I think everybody who listens to metal likes quality, innovative and ambitious music, this is not reserved for discriminating music listeners only...sorry I burst your bubble there Excelver! You're looking at it from such a very narrow-minded point of view that it's difficult to agree with Curumbor's initial statement. Had he been more specific, I would have been inclined to agree with him as it really depends from what perspective one is looking at it. I could understand how certain genres could appear like they have peaked so to speak and there's nothing new, innovative or even of decent quality happening within those particular genres. But, generally speaking, the last few years have simply been great for metal overall. There's never been more variety/diversity and originality in metal as there are today. Your argument cannot possibly be supported with facts? It's only an opinion and in my view, not a "well informed" one! Take a look at the big picture, at the metal scene overall...don't be so quick to dismiss everything metal as being shitty right now, that's simply not so.
Dan
July 15, 2005 at 10:40:31
wow Excelver, that last remark kinda made you sound conceted. I once again agree with Horfixion.
Excelver
July 15, 2005 at 10:00:34
And for people like us, who like quality, innovation, and ambition, the 00's have sucked mightily.

Kids: remember that discrimination, although demonized in the popular mindset, is good. Discriminating listeners have all sorts of wonderful talents, foremost being the ability to distinguish good music from shitty music. What a concept!

Horfixion
July 15, 2005 at 05:12:54
No, Excelver. "Indiscriminate metal listener" means that I love metal, from the 70's/80's/90's/2000 and beyond. This includes all genres and subgenres of metal. But if you only love metal from the 90's that's OK, nothing wrong with that. In my post I stated that I didn't agree with Curumbor Elendil statement that "metal from the last 3 or 4 years has been pretty bad." For people like me, who like variety/diversity and originality, the last 4 years have been great for metal!
Excelver
July 15, 2005 at 01:26:54
Spreading beyond the confines and boundaries... into... crowd-pleasing suckiness! You do know that "indiscriminate" is derogatory in this context, right?

Oh and, yeah, this thread is awesome and totally correct (go figure).

Horfixion
July 14, 2005 at 21:17:37
Curumbor Elendil - "I would say the last three or four years have been pretty bad for metal." I don't agree with that statement at all. I guess that really depends from what perspective you are looking at it. If you are talking about certain specific genres such as Death Metal or Black Metal, perhaps you are right. But on the other hand, I don't think the world has ever been more exposed to such a wide variety/diversity of metal subgenres than ever before. In this sense, the new Millenium has been great for Metal...to me, the 90's metal scene seemed to be more confined to those specific genres that were born out of the 80's (Thrash/Death/Black/Doom/Gothic) the only real originality in my view appeared to be coming from the more "progressive" bands. Since the mid to late 90's, metal has been spreading beyond the confines and boundaries of these specific genres, much to the pleasure of this indiscriminate metal listener...
Next 10 »
Main | Bandlist | Reviews | Interviews | Articles | Forum | Samples | About