Harm.us - Death, Black, Doom and Gothic Metal WebZine
Main Bandlist Writings Forum Services About us
Death, Black, Doom and Gothic Metal band infoA - Z
Excelver
July 27, 2005 at 01:27:09
You'd be surprised how many hate ulver as well.
The Evil Dead
July 26, 2005 at 14:56:50
That makes sense I guess... I'm still not diggin' the old or new Ulver though, not my kinda music I guess. I'm one of those tools who is into all the black metal the purists hate like Dimmu, Old Man's Child, Emperor, etc... Lol.
Excelver
July 25, 2005 at 11:18:12
It probably was recorded in a basement, or at least a cheap studio. Many bands do it out of necessity, some for underground aesthetik. At risk of sounding cliche, it often suits the music better, but there have been a good number of respected albums to feature very resonable production (including this one; it's def one of the more forginving mixes you'll find).

Haven't checked out new ulver yet, I lost track of them after william blake, but I should get ahold of it sometime.

The Evil Dead
July 25, 2005 at 03:36:42
I was hoping with all your infinite wisdom you'd tell me what exactly I was missing... And since I'm not too inclined when it comes to speaking in musical terms, by produced I mean the sound quality is crappy... Like it was recorded in a basement with crap equipment. I dunno, a lot of black metal always has a tendency to sound like that, and when it finally has a good clean production everyone claims the band sold out because the CD doesn't sound like a basement cut anymore. I'm checking out the new Ulver CD to see what's up though... I've heard it's good.
Excelver
July 24, 2005 at 11:51:45
You must be, especially if that is your idea of 'poorly produced'.
The Evil Dead
July 24, 2005 at 02:57:45
Am I missing something if I think that Ulver album isn't any different from any other poorly produced black metal album? I did only listen to one song though...
Excelver
July 20, 2005 at 23:32:54
Not too strange... natural, maybe? Both albums are very enrapturing, which is typical of really good BM. That definitely is Ulver's best work, too. Burzum, when it takes you, is even better.
Curumbor Elendil
July 20, 2005 at 14:44:49
Thanks for posting those. The Ulver album is really amazing, and I'll definitely have to buy it on CD. Burzum also has a curious power. It's strange that I'm finally getting into black metal after so long.
Excelver
July 17, 2005 at 22:46:15
Couple 'o Norsk black metal classics, complete and cd quality for your downloading and listening pleasure... I sent these to someone but they are availiable to others after upload, so you guys win out.

Ulver - Bergtatt

Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss

For those who haven't used yousendit before, files are availiable for 7 days OR (I think) 25 downloads, whichever comes first. As mentioned, this was a special occasion but if there is enough interest I could make this a more regular thing, given my healthy collection of mp3 albums and such.

Main | Bandlist | Reviews | Interviews | Articles | Forum | Samples | About