Harm.us - Death, Black, Doom and Gothic Metal WebZine
Main Bandlist Writings Forum Services About us
Death, Black, Doom and Gothic Metal band infoA - Z
Curumbor Elendil
September 2, 2005 at 09:20:16
I like Hollenthon too, but wasn't that 2001? Well, anyway, it was good, and it's too bad they haven't made another album.

I'll have to check out some of the stuff on Wayfaerer's and Alex's lists. (As if my wishlist isn't long enough!)

Alex@metalreviews.com
August 25, 2005 at 13:38:44
Hi Jason, Wanted to type you an e-mail for a long time, then saw your article and thought it would be cool to respond to your list. Of course, you introduced me to many a band from your list, and I wholeheartedly agree with many selections. I hope I was able to reciprocate. Anyway, here is my (long) list, trying to play by your rules: Armageddon - Crossing the Rubicon (1997) - do you think Chris Amott misses his days with that band? Auberon - The Tale of Black (1998) - ought to like this if you like Lothlorien Autumn Leaves - Embraced by the Absolute (1997) - better than Suffocation? Second album by them was very standard melodeath though, now defunct Babylon Whores - King Fear (1999) - as good dirty death rock as I know The Black League - Ichor (2000) - this is where Sentenced Taneli Jarva ended up. A must if you like Amok Blaze - Silicon Messiah (2000) - he could have pouted after being run out of Iron Maiden, but he released an album he was never able to top himself, a sleeper Buried Dreams - Perceptions (2000) - you are from Mexico, you are named after a Carcass song, you spend whatever pesos you have to travel to Sweden to record with Nordstrom, gotta be worthy of the applause Catamenia - Halls of the Frozen North (1996) - from the ultramelodic extreme variety Dead Silent Slumber - Entombed in the Midnight Hour (1999) - a solo album by Jens Ryden, formerly of Naglfar, not to be done again obviously Dismal Euphony - Autumn Leaves - A Rebellion of Tides (1997) - I would not think DE woudl qualify under your rules, but if it does, than I have to go for this, instead of All Little Devils, the old, now deceased female vocalist is singing here Edge of Sanity - Infernal (1997) - my sentimental favorite as it was curtains for Swano with EoS Evereve - Stormbirds (1998) - don't know if it qualifies, but no fan should be without it, it is not the same band today Haggard - Awaking the Centuries (2000) - awesome and orchestral Joshua - Surrender (1986) the only AOR album I own, reissued in 2001 Lacrimas Profundere - Memorandum (1999) - the best album those guys have ever done, downhill from there Lake of Tears - Headstones (1995), Crimson Cosmos (1997), Forever Autumn (1999) - take your pick Lothlorien - The Primal Event (1998) - you and I think the same on this one On Thorns I Lay - Orama (1997) - I like Crystal Tears too, but nothing after that Otyg - Sagovindars Boning (1999) - since Vintersorg himself probably doesn't qualify as obscure I will go with his side folk-project Persuader - The Hunter - you said it man Sacrilege - The Fifth Season - excellent Swedish melodeath/thrash, reissued in 2002 Sobre Nocturne - Serpentine Dreamweaver (2000) - my friend Potrokh is plain wrong on this one The Everdawn - Poems Burn the Past (1997) - I don't care if it is pure At The Gates worship and production sucks, the enthusiasm is infectious Thy Serpent - Christchrusher (1998) - extreme and melodic White Skull- Public Glory, Secret Enemy (1999) - I liked this more than Tales Wuthering Heights - Within (1999) - these prog power guys got better as they moved along Windir - Arntor (1997) - first good Windir album Love History - Anasazi (2000) - Opethish tehcnical melodic music with extreme vocs out of Chech Republic In five years Amaran - Pristine in Bondage and Insomnium - Since the Day It All Came Down will join the list
Blasphemer
August 11, 2005 at 01:31:25
How about Hollenthon - With Vilest of Worms to Dwell? I gained a new appreciation for this album after owning it for a couple years. Great symphonic, triumphant sounding powerdeath.
Wayfaerer
August 10, 2005 at 08:09:46
Withered Beauty - s/t: Kick ass Swedish death a la Hypocrisy.

Without Grief - Absorbing the Ashes: More melodeath, similar to Edge of Sanity.

Autumn Leaves - Embraced by the Absolute: Suffocation meets In Flames.

Good call on the Armageddon and Lothlorien by the way.
Excelver
August 9, 2005 at 20:03:37
Demoncy's "Joined in Darkness" seems very much to fit this description. This cult USBM release is one of my favs.
Curumbor Elendil
August 9, 2005 at 18:51:15
What are your second-chance favorites? Check out my latest article on the site and then post your lists here. Rules: albums must be at least five years old, and bands must be obscure or underrated enough not to have a significant following.
Main | Bandlist | Reviews | Interviews | Articles | Forum | Samples | About