Harm.us - Death, Black, Doom and Gothic Metal WebZine
Main Bandlist Writings Forum Services About us
Death, Black, Doom and Gothic Metal band infoA - Z
Eyeless Sentry
October 28, 2005 at 02:23:23
True that Blasphemer. I think conventions take root because they can. Use of the mispronounced word "genre" occurs within certain ignorant social groupings. These include archetypical 14 year olds: ("OMG YUOR JENER IS TEH CRAP COZ MYNE IS TEH SHIT!!!111!!!."), the metal ultracrepidarian (I do believe that Helloween invented prog-house-fusion Metal, and Chuck Schuldiner played lead trumpet from 1973-1988.) and the music snob crowd (those who listen to Radiohead, Mr. Constipated (Tom Waits) and Bob Dylan and pretend to like it.)
Blasphemer
October 28, 2005 at 02:15:13
Haha, good stuff. I'd say it's impossible to pinpoint where these movements and labels officially start, or why certain names stick and others don't. I think death metal as a medium has transcended its original purpose, because now a death metal song can have lyrics about anything and still be defined as death metal just based on the musical approach. And if you can believe in the concept of a death metal instrumental, that may help to clarify the definition a little. And what's up the word "genre"? How many people pronounce it "jen-ear" and not "jon-druh"?
Eyeless Sentry
October 27, 2005 at 11:35:14
Some interesting points are still being raised, which is good to see. My interpetation is that Death/Coroner etc. are all related to abjection and morbid themes, which is the point I am trying to raise: Why isn't the convention "horror metal" or "nihlist metal" or something along those lines? The Gothenburg/post-death metal wave is another anomaly, since the gore/morbidity is reduced or if it is present, is only alluded to. I just think that musical genres in general have no connection to anything tangible. What the hell is Rock supposed to be, apart from an igneous object? How can you rock? Rock is rock is rock, obviously. Then there's degrees of intensity - or "hardness." What is harder? Hard rock. What's harder than that? Heavy Metal. Makes some kind of logical sense. Then there's loopy stuff like house music, jungle music and garage music...is garage music house music that wasn't good enough for the house so it got relegated to the garage? It's just sheer craziness!
InTheNameOfMetal
October 27, 2005 at 09:55:26
There's no denying the fact that death metal emenated from early 80's thrash metal. I think the underground death metal carnage started when Death released "Scream Bloody Gore" in the mid 80's. One could easily argue that at that time the “genre” exploited many of the cliches found in the horror movies of the day. While Morbid Angel, Deicide and Massacra jumped on the bandwagon in the US...the European underground "death metal" scene was being influenced by Entombed, Dismember, Tiamat and Therion. "Gothenberg Metal" and Melodic Death Metal followed when Swedish bands At the Gates, Dark Tranquillity and In Flames came out to play. Today, the genre is well known for its characteristic use of “guttural growls” or in simpler English, its unintelligible raging vocal style. The lyrics often show a deep affection for the more sombre/dark/morbid thoughts, but most often displaying a close affinity with the subject of death. I think BLACK SABBATH started everything with their classic "War Pigs."
Blasphemer
October 27, 2005 at 01:54:13
Origin of death metal in a nutshell - first there was a Death, then came the Coroner, followed by the Obituary and an early Grave. Well, not really, but it did happen in that order! I don't think "death metal" was an accepted musical term in 1985, because it would've been pretty unoriginal in that case for Chuck's band to change their name from Mantis to Death. It'd be like an early power metal band changing their name from Grasshopper to Power. The fact that you have a 1985 cd called "Death Metal Sampler" does raise some questions, but since you say Helloween is featured on there, it sounds like it wasn't meant in the now-accepted sense of the term, but more like "that's some killer metal" or something like that. Also, many nitpickers will be quick to tell you that Death and Possessed are commonly considered thrash by today's standards, although they didn't sound like other thrash that was coming out at that time, and those all-important differences surely played a part in shaping modern death. As for the fact that the band was called Death, well, that's just, like, one of those synchronicity things, duuuude...
Eyeless Sentry
October 26, 2005 at 01:53:10
Hmm, those are interesting points. Although Helloween was featured on a 1985 release called the "Death Metal Sampler" which had nothing to do with the genre. It's just confusing, because Black, Thrash and Power metal are easy to define through their lyrical/musical conventions while Death metal is a bit ambiguous in that respect. Thanks guys!
Cuchulainn
October 25, 2005 at 16:37:42
I think both observations are true... Maybe when it started it could be directly attributed to both bands, but now I think Eyeless's first option more defines the genre currently...
Bleeding
October 25, 2005 at 16:18:15
I have a different opinion about the birth of the "death metal" genre. I believe it was named this way by the "Death Metal" track of Possessed in their Seven Churches album. Death & Possessed are bands that started this sound and i think its name comes from this song. At least, this is what i think ;)
Eyeless Sentry
October 25, 2005 at 08:25:57
Here's a question to nut over: Is the genre death metal named as such because: 1) it's thematic and musical relation to brutality, death, destruction, etc. -or- 2) as a homage to the pioneers of the genre, the band, Death. I've always wondered which is more true - what do you think?
Main | Bandlist | Reviews | Interviews | Articles | Forum | Samples | About